I own an industrial property

Industrial property owner

If you own industrial land and insure building, plant or contents you will already be paying the Emergency Services Levy (ESL) via your insurance premiums.

From 1 July 2017, the Government will abolish the current insurance-based Emergency Services Levy (ESL) and replace it with the Fire and Emergency Services Levy (FESL) paid by property owners alongside council rates. 

The FESL will be calculated according to two factors depending on the classification of property as residential, farmland, industrial, commercial, vacant or public benefit:

  1. A fixed charge; and
  2. A variable charge based on unimproved land value  as determined by the NSW Valuer General (visit the 'How much will the FESL cost?' section in our FAQs for a definition of unimproved land value).

The exact rates are still being determined and will not be published until 30 April 2017 when property values for July 2016 and the budget for the emergency services agencies for 2017-18 are known.

The reform will mean the obligation of funding NSW's fire and emergency services will no longer fall only on those with property insurance, but all property owners.

What about vacant industrial land?

Vacant industrial land will be subject to lower levy rates. Owners or lessees will be required to make an application to their councils for a sub-classification of ‘vacant’.

Land meets the requirements for classification as Industrial Land for purposes of the FESL if the dominant use of the land is for a purpose referred to in the Definition of Industrial Land.